June 10-11, 2017
Bijou Theatre, 108 1st Avenue South, Chesley
The present Bijou theatre was constructed in 1938 by the Town of Chesley as the north half of its new Town Hall complex. Named the Roxy, it proved to be a popular centre of entertainment for the citizens of Chesley and area. Many long-time citizens can recall attending movies at the Roxy, taking dates there and perhaps not seeing a lot of the movie. During the 1960s, the Chesley Kinsmen staged annual variety shows here. Usually running four nights, the 300 seats would be sold out each time. However, times keep changing and during the early 1970s the theatre was forced to close. It fell into disuse until a local group organized to stage a live play for the 1995 Chesley Homecoming. Under the direction of Faye-Bell McClure, their presentation of “Charlie’s Aunt” proved to be such a hit that the group decided to form the Chesley Community Players with the goal of providing local live entertainment. The Players are now in their 21st season.
Crate Designs, 87 7th Street Southwest, Chesley
Crate Designs carries on a tradition of producing quality Canadian furniture at the factory in Chesley, Ontario - since 1906! The company was originally formed as The Chesley Chair Company, producing chairs for other furniture manufacturers. As the product line was broadened beyond just chairs, the name was changed to Heirloom of Canada. After discontinuing the Heirloom line of traditional styles in the 1990s, to concentrate on Crate furniture, the name was changed to Crate Designs™
Dyball Home, 8 4th Street Southwest, Chesley
Located on a picturesque corner on Chesley's Main Street (now 1st Ave.) are four stately houses (this is the first of three open during Doors Open). This one was built around 1903 by James and Catherine Halliday. James was a cattle dealer. It is currently owned by Dave and Joyce Dyball.
Matthew Halliday Home, 145 1st Avenue South, Chesley
John Halliday Elliott originally owned the property. John was Reeve of Chesley for a number of years and Warden of Bruce County in 1896. Matthew Halliday built the current house on the property around 1893. Matthew was Mayor of Chesley and was present during the Presentation of Colours by Premier Hearst to the 160th Bruce Battalion June 3, 1916.
Wellington Krug Home, 159 1st Avenue South, Chesley
James Grant, owner of the Chesley Woolen Mills, built the house circa 1885. Annie and Conrad Krug, one of the founders of Krug Bros. Furniture, bought it in 1914, and later their only son Wellington Krug lived in the home. The home has a beautiful leaded-glass front door and the interior intricacies of the Queen Anne Style. This is the third home on the corner that is open for Doors Open.
Vanderlip Dairy Goat Facility - 868 Elderslie Arran Townline, Dobbinton
New 2000 head dairy goat facility built in 2016. The new facility has one of the world’s most innovative rotary parlours where 120 goats can be milked at once. It has a capacity of milking over a 1000 goats per hour. Fully automated goat identification and individual programmed feeding. Marlie and JanWillem started their dairy goat operation in 2011. They are currently milking 900 goats and are planning to grow their herd to fill their new facility. In addition there are another 800 doelings housed at the farm. The Vanderlips also sell breeding bucks to other dairy goat farmers. The original herd started with approximately 75 does imported from the United States and are CAE and CL negative; to maintain this herd status strict bio security protocals are in place. Almost all to most of the feed sources are grown on their own 350 acres farm. For example corn, faba beans, wheat and rye grasses. Their young children (Alena 3, Daerd 2, and Fenna 6 months) love helping in the barn, in particular feeding baby goats by bottle.
Approximately 1600 goat kids are born each year; all are bottle fed powder colostrum. Upon each kid receiving sufficient colostrum they go onto fully automated milk feeders. The Vanderlips run their state of the art facility with a part-time milker and part time help during kidding season.
Paisley Hose Tower and Cenotaph, 302 Water Street, Paisley
The lighthouse design of the Hose Tower, built in 1891, is the unique architectural feature of a fire protection system, the main part of which was a steam–powered pump that forced water from the Saugeen River into mains and hydrants on Queen Street. The interior of the octagonal building was originally made of panels of inter-locking diagonal bracing and much of the original system of pulleys has remained intact over the years. The hose reels and ladder carts were used by the village fire department until 1946 when a fire truck was purchased. The hose reels that used to carry water to a fire were stored in the upper storey of the building and hauled by the firefighters to the scene of a fire. The Hose Tower went under major renovations in 1995.
Royal Canadian Legion Branch 295 Paisley, 338 Goldie Street, Paisley
* Refreshment Stop
The Village of Paisley was incorporated in 1874 and the pioneers felt they required a Town Hall. In the fall of 1876, this classical building was built by local craftsmen with local materials. The local brick, round arched wooden windows, wooden belfry and fan lights were all particularly important in the exterior appearance of the building. Inside a decorated curving staircase rises from a centre hall to an auditorium with excellent curved lath and plaster ceiling and large central wooden medallion. The north end of the basement contains two iron-barred cells for prisoners. This building has entertained many political (Prime Minister, Sir Wilfred Laurier, Agnes MacPhail) and social activities (Maureen Forester, Andre Gagnon). It also served as the local library, school, fire hall, and newspaper office. It is now the home of the Royal Canadian Branch Legion #295, Paisley. It underwent extensive renovations in 1978 and the Honourable Pauline McGibbon, The Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, presided at the official opening. The Town Hall is a prominent structure due to its location at the confluence of the Teeswater and Saugeen Rivers on the north side of the Market Square.
Cenotaph, 85 Yonge Street, Tara
The property where the War Memorial Cenotaph is located was donated to the village of Tara by George Gerolamy. Tara Womens’ Institute donated $1550.00 to help build the Cenotaph with $600.00 from Arran Township and $350.00 from the village of Tara. In 1935 an oak tree was planted to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V. In the following years plaques were erected to Sir William Hearst, born in Tara and the seventh premier of the province, and to Cyclone Taylor, also born in Tara and a hockey player of notoriety. In 2015 the Cenotaph was refurbished by donations from the community and the Tara Legion. Over seven hundred tulips were planted by the Tara Horticultural Society and Chesley High School commemorating Dutch - Canadian Friendship Gardens.
Royal Canadian Legion Branch 383 Tara, 86 River Street, Tara
* Refreshment Stop
After World War I a branch of the Great War Veterans’ Association was formed and in 1946 the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 383 Tara was incorporated. The present building was bought in 1952. Mrs. Koehler loaned $1200.00 to buy the building and this loan was paid off in a year by collecting door to door. A large addition was added in 2004. The mural was painted by Tim Noble in 2007. It depicts the Cenotaph and numerous elements from World War I and II.
The Legion will be open for the Bruce County Doors Open and washroom facilities will be available.
Arran-Elderslie Points of Interest
- McClure’s Mill, 176 Bearman Street, Chesley
- McLean Home (4 corners), 159 1st Avenue South, Chesley
- Christ Church Anglican Church & Pioneer Cemetery, 56 Bruce Road 17, Arran Township
- Big Bruce,1921 Bruce Road 10, Chesley
- Gillies Hill (Lockerby, 6th Concession at 15th sideroad, Elderslie Township (location of 1st Elderslie Township Council)
- Treasure Chest Museum, 407 Queen Street North, Paisley
- Krug Park & Chesley Trail, 1 Riverside Drive, Chesley
Flach Family Homestead, 2340 Highway 9, Walkerton
This three-level stone dwelling was built by John Flach in 1864. In 1996, his great-granddaughter took ownership of this mixed-farming property. Recently, local artisans and building designers have restored the home, whose furnishings reflect an earlier way of living. The restoration includes a working windmill, lavish outhouse and groomed landscape.
Walkerton Heritage Water Garden, 6 First Street, Walkerton
The Walkerton Heritage Garden contains a Memorial Fountain which draws its inspiration from the biblical story of Moses striking a rock in the desert to bring water to the Israelites. It consists of a massive rock formation, cracked open, with water flowing out of it. Unlike the negative image of the E.coli disaster in Walkerton in May 2000, the fountain presents water as a positive, life-affirming and healing symbol. The garden also contains a “Heritage Walk”, with the story of Walkerton's proud history told in a series of plaques.
Walkerton Armoury, 215 Jane Street, Walkerton
It was built by Truax & Son in 1907, who also built the Carnegie Library in 1914. Walkerton received $10,000 to build a place to store the guns, drums and fifes of the local military. Architectural features of this Renaissance revival-style, pressed red-brick building include two continuous limestone belts around it, midway up and under the eaves. It became the home of the 32nd and 160th Bruce Battalions and later the Second World War 97th Field Battery. It operated as a daycare until 2013.
Bruce County Jail, 209 Cayley Street, Walkerton
The Walkerton Gaol was built in 1867 at a cost of $14,670.85. As with the other County buildings in the complex, the Jail eventually needed more room. The east wall along Colborne Street and a large part of the south wall of the jail were torn down to make way for a parking lot, mainly to accommodate county officials. The exercise area was moved to the west yard and a 12-foot high fence was erected to separate the jail from the parking lot. Several hangings have taken place here. The most famous story is of John Haag, who allegedly survived hanging due to a conspiracy arranged by the jail doctor and the hangman. He was apparently later seen in the U.S. by the judge who sentenced him. The last gallows was built in 1962. Another famous inmate is Mickey McArthur, a local boy and notorious escape artist, who broke out of several jails in the 1970s & 80s.
Victoria Jubilee Hall, 111 Jackson Street South, Walkerton
Commemorating the diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign, this unique High Victorian style building was constructed in 1897 at a cost of just over $10,000. It has held municipal offices, a marketplace, police station, fire hall and living quarters for the caretaker and his family. It has eight different floor levels and a 300-seat opera house theatre with balcony - one of only a few left in their original condition in Ontario. The Hall has been drawn by noted Canadian artist David Milne. Originally slated for demolition by the municipality, in 1997 it was sold for $1 to the local branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario. This group of local townspeople volunteer their time to operate and renovate the Hall, ensuring that VJH remains an important part of Walkerton’s heritage.
(Joseph) Walker House, 15 McNab Street, Walkerton
In 1852, Joseph Walker founded the town of Walkerton. He built a grist mill and then a log home for his wife Jane and three sons. His home was also the local hotel, a welcome resting place for weary pioneers. It was replaced with this Georgian Revival rubble limestone structure in 1860. Its symmetrical windows and doors are complemented by the Classic Revival details in the front porch pediment and Ionic columns. Walker was the first Reeve of Brant Township (1854) and Walkerton’s first mayor. He ensured the future of his hometown when, after a bitter 9-year struggle with neighbouring villages, the Governor General officially named Walkerton the County seat on June 15, 1857. (Designated)
The Clean Water Centre, 20 Ontario Road, Walkerton
A service agency of the Provincial Government, the Centre was established in October 2004 as a positive outcome of the Walkerton water crisis of 2000 when 7 people died and thousands were made ill from drinking tainted water. It was designed and built to meet the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold standard. Recognized internationally, this energy efficient green design standard promotes a whole-building approach that reduces impacts on both the natural and indoor environment. Best practices in design, construction and maintenance conserve electricity and water and promote a healthier work environment. Features include a geothermal heating system, energy efficient lighting, ultra-low flow toilets, a water retention cistern, rainwater harvesting and solar energy. The new building houses classrooms and a Technology Demonstration Facility which, along with Mobile Training Units, provide hands-on training to the professionals who provide safe drinking water to homes and businesses across Ontario including those in remote locations such as First Nations systems.
Brockton Points of Interest
- Douglas Hill Mortuary and Cemetery, 1926 Bruce County Road 3, Cargill
- Folmer Gardens, 2668 Highway 9, Walkerton
St. Luke’s Anglican Church, 403 Alice Street, Point Clark
St. Luke’s Anglican Church was built in 1862 in the small community of Lurgan, the northern part of what is now known primarily as Point Clark. It was built out of the pine trees cleared from the lot and is said to be a replica of the builder’s parish church in his English hometown. Lurgan was founded by Captain Henry C. Gamble and at one time had its own post office, a one-room schoolhouse, several houses and a bit of industry. Captain Gamble returned to his hometown in Ireland after the community failed to prosper. The church and cemetery overlook Pine River and can only be accessed over a tree covered bridge. Most of Lurgan and Pine River’s early pioneers are buried here. The parish hall, which opened in 1952, was built at the foot of the hill, below the church. It was built for Sunday school and community gathering purposes. The church, cemetery and hall are still active today.
Point Clark Lighthouse, 530 Lighthouse Road, Point Clark
The Point Clark Lighthouse is a National Historic Site and was one of the first “imperial towers” to flash its light. Six of these majestic towers were built by John Brown on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay in the 1850s. Built of limestone from nearby Inverhuron, the Point Clark Lighthouse stands 26.5 metres (80 feet) high. In 2009, the Point Clark Lighthouse was honoured to be one of six chosen from across Canada to decorate a postage stamp. The Lighthouse was acquired by Parks Canada in 1967 to commemorate the vital role of lighthouses in navigation on the Great Lakes. The lightkeeper’s dwelling, built at the same time as the lighthouse, is now operated as a museum by the Township of Huron-Kinloss.
Bruce Botanical Food Gardens, 62 Park Street, Ripley
The Bruce Botanical Food Gardens...A RARE EXPERIENCE! This is not your typical country garden experience. Bedspring fencing, wire spool tables, tractor seat stools and reclaimed items throughout are surrounded by over 10,000 food plants all grown using natural, sustainable methods. Construction began on these non-profit gardens in June 2012 and the organization is entering its fifth year dedicated to showcasing hundreds of rare, endangered, and heirloom food plants from around the globe, all in a parklike setting. Although it is a tourist attraction set in a small rural community, it also offers its bounty of fresh, healthy, safe, nutritious food to all who visit at the cost of a donation. Take a side road on your journey and tour the Backforty to experience this unusual place.
Lucknow Town Hall/HAWK Theatre, 526 Campbell Street, Lucknow
In 2007, members of the surrounding communities envisioned a local theatre opportunity in the upper auditorium of the building. The theatre group HAWK sponsors two theatre productions annually, drawing on local talents in stage and music. The adult production is featured in May and a youth production in late November. With assistance from the Township of Huron-Kinloss, the HAWK Theatre has turned the upper auditorium into an accessible and comfortable venue for local theatre entertainment. The group has performed numerous plays featuring Canadian and local writers. The youth productions have taken on a bold perspective involving children of all ages and numbers. “Alice in Wonderland” and the “Wizard of Oz” are examples of the youth accomplishments.
Huron Kinloss Points of Interest
- Erie Belle Boiler, Boiler Beach, Access at Boiler Beach Road and Huronville Street
- Ripley Heritage Mural, 48-56 Queen Street, Ripley
- Lewis Trail/Lewis Settlement Cemetery, East end of Park Street, Ripley
- Paul Henderson Mural, 648 Campbell Street, Lucknow
Kincardine Lighthouse, 236 Harbour Street, Kincardine
This unique, octagonal wooden lighthouse is just steps from downtown. The Kincardine Yacht Club operates the lighthouse as a maritime museum during the summer months. Tours include the keeper’s quarters and the tower up to the light; and interesting artifacts and memorabilia related to Kincardine’s sailing past are displayed throughout. Check the website for year-round webcam views!
Bruce Power Visitors’ Centre, 3394 Bruce County Road 20, Kincardine
Explore the world of nuclear energy at the Bruce Power Visitors' Centre. It has more than 40 exhibits and displays, offers tours of the simulated reactor and control room, and from the deck provides an impressive view of Canada's first commercial nuclear station – the world's largest power development. Visiting the centre is a must-see, hands-on, fun and informative experience. Bus tours of the site will be available all weekend!
Inverhuron Pioneer Cemetery, 19 Jordan Road, Inverhuron
Step back in time and wander through overgrown trees and hilly terrain while exploring this cemetery, located just inside the gates to Inverhuron Provincial Park, where headstones tell the stories of area pioneers. Continue your stroll further along to the Gate House, where you can explore displays of archaeological artifacts. Sturdy footwear is strongly advised at this site.
Kincardine Points of Interest
- Paddy Walker House, 235 Harbour Street, Kincardine
- Kincardine Branch Library, 727 Queen Street, Kincardine
- Dr. Secord Monument, 727 Queen Street, Kincardine
Northern Bruce Peninsula Points of Interest
- Lion’s Head Rock formation (lookout), Lion’s Head
- Lion’s Head Inn, 8 Helen Street, Lion's Head
- St. Margaret’s Chapel, 133 East Road, Cape Chin
- Lion’s Head Lighthouse, 1 Dock Street, Lion’s Head
- Bruce Peninsula National Park Visitor’s Centre, Tobermory
- St. Edmunds Township Museum, 7072 Hwy #6, Tobermory
- The Sweet Shop, 18 Bay Street, Tobermory
Jacob Bock Home, 194 Concession 6, Port Elgin
The house was built in 1875 by Jacob Bock, who was a farmer. This farm home is set up on a hill, with a scenic view of the former Saugeen Township, and the Mill Creek. This style of home is reflective of Gothic Revival style. This style was popular in Ontario in that time period and common for farm houses and Churches. The home has recently been renovated, and the owners tried to maintain the historic charm.
Dunblane Presbyterian Church, 230 The River Road, Port Elgin
Early settlers along the Saugeen River first met for worship at “Cedar Hall”, a barn on the Gowanlock homestead. The original log church was built on the Scott farm, Lot 26, Concession 7, Saugeen Township in 1859 by the people of the neighbourhood. It was constructed from cut cedar taken from the banks of the river. According to records, Mr. Archie Pollock was in charge of “building the corner”. The original seats were made of split basswood logs with four split and whittled legs. Rev. Peter Scott crafted the present pulpit and pews by hand. Worship services were held continuously from the Church opening until 1968. Access to the Church was by walking through the fields and crossing the river using canoes in summer and good sleighing in winter. Later a road was built past the Church. The log structure still remains, but has been covered with board and batten on the outside and plaster on the inside. More recently the outside walls were painted white and a new roof was put on. Costumed interpreters will be on hand to welcome visitors.
Smiths’ Apples and Farm Market, 470 The River Road, Port Elgin
Smiths’ Apples and Farm Market is an operational apple orchard located on the scenic River Road between Port Elgin and Burgoyne, in the former Township of Saugeen. The Apple Farm and Market was started in the late 1990s by Steve and Micki Smith. Jim Mondry and Katie Lutz have been operating the tree farm since the Smith’s retirement in 2016. The site includes apple orchards, a Farm Market store, and commercial bakery. Pick you own apples from their easy to reach dwarf trees or take home some freshly packed bags from their market. They have many varieties of apples such as (but not limited to): Aurora Golden Gala; Ginger Gold; Golden Delicious; Honeycrisp; Jonagold; McIntosh; Northern Spy; Royal Gala; Sunrise; and Zestar.
Silken Retreat B&B (William John Strong Home), 570 Johnston Avenue, Port Elgin
The home was built in 1901, by William John Strong and his wife Mary (Kingsborough). They had 2 children, Ella born 1887 and Elmer born 1885. All the money transactions appear to be handled by Mary Strong, which is very unusual for that time. Wm. John Strong was a Manufacturer, Mariner and Sea Captain. In 1909 they sold the property to John McCallum, and moved to Vancouver, never returning to Port Elgin. John McCallum put the addition onto the back part of the house, which consisted of a back shed, summer kitchen, narrow back stairs leading to the second floor, another bedroom and possibly the veranda. The style of this building is “Edwardian”. The features that associate this house with the style are: the square hipped roof; wrap around veranda with second story balcony; front gable with window; decorative lintels and sills around windows. It was noted that the wrap around verandahs were placed to view the downtown.
Port Elgin Branch Library, 708 Goderich Street, Port Elgin
According to the Council Minutes of the Town of Port Elgin, talks of the Public Library began in February of 1907. At the meeting, it was brought to Council’s attention that there was a great need for a library building in the Town. It was requested that Council “make application to the Carnegie Free Library Trust of New York for the sum of $8,000 to be used for the erection of a Public Library Building in the Town”. In July of 1907, the tender for the Library site was awarded to Mrs. Emily Hilker for $300. Later that year the tender for the erection of the Carnegie Library was awarded to Miller Bros. for $6,330. The Library was erected in 1908, with the first documented Council Meeting in the new Library being on December 29, 1908. A Carnegie Library was built with money donated by Scottish/American Businessman and Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. He funded over 2,500 public libraries in many countries. Stairs up to the entrance are reflective of Carnegie’s belief in the elevation of learning. This Carnegie design is a “Beaux Arts” style building. Its simple-yet-elegant style is marked by central columns, quoining in the corner brickwork, a tall chimney, a central portico above the entrance, and decorative sills and lintels.
Life Saving Station, 20 Beach Road, Southampton
Jerry and Marilyn Stephenson are the proud owners of this 100+ year old cottage, which was the former Rescue/Life Saving Station which straddled the long dock in Southampton. Because of the many shipwrecks that occurred in the waters surrounding Chantry Island, lying offshore from Southampton, the government of the day decided to build a Rescue/Life Saving Station. The building was designed to house a 27 ft. long rescue boat while the upstairs was used as sleeping quarters for the rescue crew. The boat was kept in the station and, over winter, it was hoisted up inside by a pulley system, the evidence of which still remains in the beams of the upstairs ceiling. As rail transport of goods became more prevalent and shipping declined, the building was no longer needed and, in 1937, it was closed and sold in 1938 to the Deibil family from Allenford. The Stephensons are only the fourth private owners in the building's 100 year history. The Stephensons' pride in the old station is evident throughout, and they consider themselves as the caretakers of the beautiful historic building. What could be retained has been. The paneled walls look like new even though it was Hector Deibil who installed them some 70 years ago and a piece of plywood, signed by Deibel, remains unpainted. The ceiling upstairs remains the same with an original window still there and, even though the fireplace now has gas, it too is still there.
Outlaw Brew Co., 196 High Street, Southampton
This building, on the corner of Highway 21 & High Street was originally the Southampton Hotel. Built in 1867 by Joseph Gilbert who at that time was the Hotel Keeper. This location has transformed into what is now a landmark destination craft brewery! Outlaw Brew Co. takes inspiration from its historic rural location in Bruce County. Nestled just up the street from the stunning Lake Huron shoreline; this Brewery, BrewPub & Retail store is one of a kind! A passionate array of beers are brewed on premise, and available at the LCBO, Grocery, the Beer Store and restaurants throughout Ontario. From our small town to yours. Sharing its 150th anniversary with Canada’s confederation this summer, come visit us and celebrate this building’s continuing legacy.
Town Hall, 201 High Street, Southampton
The Town Hall was completed in 1911, and is located at the major intersection of Albert and High Streets. It is a prominent focal point of Southampton’s commercial core and the visual anchor of public buildings and spaces in the original Market Square. The clock tower marks the physical, historic and social centre of Southampton and is a highly visible landmark. Southampton’s Town Hall meetings were held in local hotels until the first Town Hall was official opened in 1873. After outgrowing the first hall, and several fires downtown, Council unanimously voted in favour of constructing a new Town Hall. Requirements for the Town Hall included a request for a hose tower to be built to hang hoses from top to bottom, a 16 ft by 16 ft corner tower and modern features such as electric stage foot lights and free bell telephone service for the Clerk’s Office. Plans for the Town Hall were prepared by Mr. D.G. Krugler of Port Elgin in 1907. A tendered offer to build the new Town Hall was accepted from Mr. Peter Knechtel of the Chippewa Lumber Company, a local construction contractor. Since the amalgamation of Saugeen Shores in 1999, the Town Hall ceased to serve its intended purpose, and has been rented out ever since. The Southampton Town Hall has been used by many community groups and businesses throughout the years. The first recorded rental was in April 25, 1913 to J. Blohm for picture shows. On June 8, 1970 By-law 1379 authorized the lease of the Town Hall basement to the Southampton Credit Union. The Ministry of Government Services utilized the Town Hall for many years as Ontario Court Room Facilities. The first recorded lease agreement was by By-law 1359 on March 9, 1970, with the last by-law passed on October 15, 1980.
For many years residents in the area have enjoyed the Southampton Optimist Bingo weekly throughout the year, a tradition that still existed until 2016. Through the years the town hall has held not only the municipal offices, but has also been used by the PUC Office, Fire Hall, Chamber / Information Centre, Police Station, Art School, Museum and Lighthouse Photo Gallery to name a few. Community functions are held regularly from Bingo to Square Dancing, Judo, Wedding Receptions, Concerts and now Theaters. The Police Station jail cells still exist in the basement. The architectural design of the Southampton Town Hall is based on late revivalist style interpretations which include a crenellated clock tower with round Romanesque window arches, a steeply pitched main gable roof, simply detailed red brick work with limestone details, and carefully considered fenestration patterns on the gable and side elevations. Although the building’s architectural ambitions are more restrained compared to that of other earlier town hall designs constructed in Ontario during the previous two decades, the Southampton Town Hall expresses a clear sense of civic pride and community aspirations.
Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre, 33 Victoria Street North, Southampton *Saturday Only
The Southampton Public School was erected in 1878 to provide school accommodation for the children of the community and surrounding area. Approximately 40 children were taught their “Reading, ‘Riting and ‘Rithmatic” in each of its six classrooms, and approximately 18,000 children passed through the doors in its 75 years of use. In 1954 the school ceased and the following year the building was purchased by Bruce County Council for $1.00, with the stipulation that the building be used as a museum. The BCM&CC has gone through several incarnations including major expansions in 1973 (Krug Wing) and in 2005. The BCM&CC features award winning exhibits, programming, Archives and heritage buildings.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 47 Albert Street North, Southampton
*Refreshment Stop Saturday
The United Presbyterian Church was along the river bank and used from 1863 to 1887. The church was then moved to its current location, where the Free Church used to be. In 1887 it was renamed St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. The Sunday school building was added to the property soon after. In 1911, the church was extended with the additions of the belfry and the steeple as well as two new entrances at each end. Presbyterian Church services are still held in this church.
Saugeen River Range Light - Back, 2 South Rankin Street, Southampton
The back range light started its life as a green lantern raised up 45′ above the water on a tall mast. It hung on the land opposite to the present location of Saugeen River Light. It was replaced the same year as the front range light, and constructed in a similar fashion. It sits upriver, about 2,300 feet from its sister light, just past the bridge. It is a small structure, standing only 31′ high, but because of its hill location, it sits 61′ above water level. Its fixed automated light is electrically powered. It is currently owned by the Town of Saugeen Shores.
Saugeen Shores Points of Interest:
- Nodwell Park, corner of Highland and Market Streets, Port Elgin
- Flagpole, High Street, Southampton
- Pioneer Park, Front Street, Southampton
- Southampton Pioneer Cemetery, 46 Cemetery Road, Southampton
Hoity Toity Cellars, 1723 Hwy #9, Mildmay
Hoity Toity Cellars, is located on the gently rolling hills in the Municipality of South Bruce on Concession 14, Lot 10 with the back of the 100 acre farm resting on the north side of Otter Creek waterway. 150 years ago, Otter Creek provided ideal conditions for a gristmill and settlement. For 75 years, 1870-1945, the mill ran off water power from the dam, producing flour that boasted worldwide recognition at the turn of the 20th century. In its prime, the hamlet of Otter Creek was home to a gristmill, sawmill, a cheese factory, a blacksmith shop, a hotel, a small country church and school. The school house, two brick houses, and fragments of the dam still remain today.
Leo & Marguerite Fischer purchased the farm in 1965 from the Mike Eckensweiler family, as a second dairy barn to raise Holstein heifers. Almost 20 years later, in 1983, Gary and Diane Fischer purchased the family property from Gary’s parents. By 1986, they began planting tender fruit crops including strawberries, raspberries, pumpkins and squash, and were known for almost 2 decades as Otter Creek Family Farms. Gary’s innovation, research and readiness for a new challenge led him to breaking new ground in 2007, with 15 acres of high density apples and vines, grown from special hybrid grape varieties that can withstand cold climates. Today, the farm is eco-friendly, working towards sustainable farming and natural viticulture methods. The winery/cidery opened its doors to the public in 2010, under the name Carrick Wines, becoming Hoity Toity Cellars in 2013. Besides preserving the 125 year old farm house and using it as a retail/tasting area, Gary offers an agri-tourism experience, sharing the stories that come with the land and community and has been the receipient of the Premier’s Award for Agri-food Innovation Excellence in 2010, 2011, and 2014.
The Hoity Toity team is here to show you the finer side of Bruce County and to taste some award winning, refreshing, unique and local, wines and ciders. “There is nothng fancy about us, we are just hard working farmers making artisan wines and craft ciders, from cold climate grapes and local apples/tender fruit”.
Stoltz Sales & Service, 1405 Hwy #9, Mildmay *Saturday Only
Stoltz Sales and Service is committed to you and your success! We are a family owned full line agricultural equipment dealership including Case IH, Cub Cadet and Mahindra is our newest line of Tractors and XTVs. Saturday we will be hosting our Summer Kickoff event which includes ride and drives, bouncy castle, a charity Bbq with proceeds going to Mental Health and much more fun for all ages.
Coyote Ridge Riding Centre, 359 Concession 2W, Mildmay
Patricia Kell is a Certified CTRII
Horseback riding can
social skills …
...while having fun with horses in a safe environment
Equine Therapy for individuals with physical, emotional, cognitive disadvantages.
Although Coyote Ridge, is an FEI member centre that well might be one of South Bruce’s best kept secrets, Patricia Kell, owner/operator is no stranger to the equine world. She has been around horses all of her life and relocated to the South Bruce area several years ago to be closer to her family. As a young girl, Patricia worked to train and rehabilitate many unbroke horses and ponies. Her passion for horses and her love for children are truly a magical combination. She continues to teach riding and training skills, and is a strong mentor to her students. Patricia is a certified CTRII (Intermediate level therapeutic riding instructor ) with the Canadian Therapeutic Riding Association (CanTRA) as well as being double bronze certified by Chris Irwin Horsepower. She has attained FEI levels in western horsemanship and years of show experience at breed and local shows. “I just want to pass along my knowledge and understanding of the horse and what they have to teach us”. If you were to ask her how long it takes to learn to ride a horse, she would ask you, “How long does it take to learn to play a musical instrument?” Coyote Ridge offers individual and semi-private lessons and therapeutic equine sessions. Nestled in the hills of Carrick Township, Coyote Ridge is a unique and peaceful environment for both horses and riders and their families. Why not come out and see for yourself? Visitors are always welcome, but please call for an appointment. Our number is 519-367-2102, or ‘Like’ us on Facebook.
Immaculate Conception Church, 212 Concession 12, Formosa *Saturday Only
The Formosa church, situated at the top of the hill at the north end of the hamlet, was envisioned as a large permanent church for the new and growing Roman Catholic parish. At the time, a wooden church that had been completed in 1857 had required two expansions to handle the increasing number of German Immigrants flowing into the area. The architect was charged with designing a stone church capable of seating 1200 to 1500 people.
Rev. Archangelus Gstir arrived to lead the Formosa parish in 1861. Soon afterwards, he oversaw the expansion of the original 1857 wooden church, appealing on behalf of the parishioners to Ludwig I of Bavaria via the Ludwig Missions-Verin in Munich. He received 2000 Thalers from the King for this initial appeal. In April 1864, Father Gstir again wrote to Ludwig for funds to build a larger stone church, and subsequently received an additional 1000 Thalers. Father Gstir returned to his native Tyrol in 1865, and died in 1870. After the foundation of the new stone church was laid in 1875, work proceeded at an uneven pace. The new pastor of the day (Father Louis Elena) and the parishioners did not want to go into debt, so work progressed as fast as contributions allowed. Much of the materials (limestone hand-cut from local rock, and timber) were obtained locally at no expense other than volunteer labour. Other materials had to be purchased and shipped to the area, including sandstone from Guelph quarries. The shell of the new church, completed in 1880, was constructed over the original wooden church. The old wooden building remained in use until the new roof was completed, after which it was dismantled and removed. Construction continued for a few more years, with the new church being consecrated on September 13, 1885. The total expenditure on the church, not including free labour and materials, was $28,000. It is estimated that after exchange, the 3000 Thalers received from Ludwig (used partly for the older wooden church and partly for the new stone church) amounted to about $2,000.
Albadon Farms, 4713 Bruce Road 4, Teeswater
The Ireland families would like to invite you to explore their dairy and cash crop farm operation and learn more about modern milk and grain production in Ontario. Animal comfort and nutrition are key elements to the production of high quality milk, and Albadon’s award-winning dairy herd has been recognized in recent years for excellence in milk quality, animal health, and a superior breeding program. As operators of a multi-generational family farm operation, the Ireland families use modern best management practices in order to maintain an efficient and sustainable business, and to provide an opportunity for the next generation to be part of the agricultural industry. The Ireland family started farming at the current farm location in 1866 as a mixed livestock farm and began to focus more on dairy production around 1920. In 1947 the switch was made from Milking Shorthorns to purebred Holsteins, and the lineage of most of the current herd can be traced back to those very same cows. Today the farm is home to 480 Holstein cattle with 220 of those currently being milked three times per day. Most of the feed for the animals is grown on site at the farm.
The Healing Arc, 166 25 Sideroad South, Teeswater
The Healing Arc’s Golden Orchard lies on beautiful, rolling, Bruce County farmland just south of Teeswater, Ontario. It is the first fruit producing Sea Buckthorn Orchard in Ontario and award recipient for the Premier’s Award of Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. The Healing Arc Inc. is a research based company. Owner Marlene Wynnyk has worked on several agricultural research projects in the quest for plants that can be grown on marginal land in Ontario and used in the functional food and nutraceutical industry. Sea Buckthorn tops the list. Today the orchard resembles a tropical paradise with trees laden with brilliant orange fruit from late July until early October. The berries with their tart citrus flavour are nutritional, refreshing, versatile and local … perfection!
Sea Buckthorn is rich in many essential nutrients. It contains high concentrations of Vitamin C, carotenoids, fatty acids as well as phytochemicals that are known to have strong antioxidant activity. Sea Buckthorn has proven to be a Value Chain Crop with a growing reputation as a “Super Berry”.
Sea Buckthorn is native to north western Europe, through central Asia including China. This berry has been used for centuries for its pharmaceutical properties and as food.
Sea Buckthorn’s products include: Sea Bucktorn Trees & Saplings; U-pick Sea Buckthorn Berries, 100% pure juice, Jams & Jellies, oil, skin treatment products and soap. Join your hosts Marlene Wynnyk and Rodger Shankland for their 12th Annual Harvest Open House August 16 – September 5th, 2017.
South Bruce Points of Interest
- County of Bruce Carnegie Library, 2 Clinton Street South, Teeswater Attraction: Leo the Lion Fountain
- Rotary Park, Hwy# 9, 1 km North on Main Street, Mildmay Attraction: Artisan ever-flowing spring water and pond
- Bottle Cap @ Formosa Lions Park – 206 Council Road South, Formosa
- Waterfalls/Giant well – 1155 Bruce Road 12, Formosa
- Mural - Liesemer’s Home Hardware, 98 Elora Street, Mildmay
- GayLea Cooperative, 21 Clinton Street, Teeswater
- Wilderness Park, Absalom Street, Teeswater
South Bruce Peninsula
Aiken Bros. Home Hardware, 7740 Highway 21, Allenford
In 1910, Moffatt and Albert Aiken established Aiken Brothers Hardware. Younger brother Harvey joined after the First World War. In 1961, it became a Home Hardware. The building sits on the boundary between South Bruce Peninsula and the Township of Arran-Elderslie. Two-time recipient of the Golden Hammer Award.
Wright House in Wiarton B&B, 501 Frank Street, Wiarton
Presently operating as The Wright House in Wiarton Bed and Breakfast, this house is a combination of two structures. The first was a 5-room wooden house built in 1894 and owned by Thomas Hurst, a wealthy lumber merchant and carriage maker, and then sold to David Porter, his business partner at Dominion Portland Cement Company. In 1903, the house was sold to David Wright who added the brick addition and brought the 2 structures together to create this large Georgian Revival “Box” home, faced with Scottish brick.
Trinity Anglican Church, 491 Gould Street, Wiarton
Trinity Anglican was completed in 1891. Built by Edward Kyte, a master stonemason, with mostly volunteer labour, it is constructed of rusticated limestone with four fine points on top of the tower. Three original, though altered, chimneys remain. The triple windows, repeated throughout the building, feature both imported and local stained glass.
Wiarton Train Station, 400 William Street, Wiarton
This 1904 Canadian National Railway station closed in 1960. In 1971, it was moved from its former site to Bluewater Park. Built entirely of wood combined chateau and stick styles’ the station has Queen Anne towers on its bay side and magnificent coffered tongue-and-groove ceilings inside. It now houses the Bluewater Park Office and Tourist Information Centre.
St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 441 Brown Street, Wiarton
The congregation of St. Peter’s was formed in 1889, five years before Wiarton was incorporated as a town. The first building was a wooden one which burned down (arson was suspected) on April 8, 1918. The current stone building was constructed in 1922-1923. Over the years the people of St. Peter’s have been an active congregation supporting a variety of groups such as Luther League (young people) and Ladie’s Aid. Today we continue to worship in that same stone building and welcome anyone who would like to join us. We have a number of groups providing interesting programs for an active faith life.
E.S. Fox Observatory, 3092 Bruce Rd 13, South Bruce Peninsula
*Open Additional Hours Saturday June 10 – 9:00 pm to midnight
The Fox Observatory facility is used jointly by the Bluewater Outdoor Education Centre and the Bluewater Astronomical Society and provides stargazing for students, BAS members and the general public. The Fox Observatory telescopes treat viewers to celestial sights that range from nearby planets to objects at the edge of infinity. Truly awesome!
Hours for viewing Saturday night would be from 9 pm to midnight and our featured objects would be Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon as well as a few of the brighter star clusters like the Hercules Cluster and a planetary nebula or two.
South Bruce Peninsula Points of Interest
- Spirit Rock, 92 Hwy 6, Wiarton
- Pow Wow Park Plaque, South side of Hwy 21, just west of Allenford Road (Side Road 10)
- Allenford Pioneer Cemetery, 7769 Hwy. 21
- Heritage Heights Condominiums (Historic Wiarton High School), 239 Williams Street, Wiarton
- Sauble Falls, west side of Sauble Falls Parkway, north of Sauble Beach.