"Adam Scott Elliott, of the Village of Chesley, is a native of Roxburghshire, Scotland, where he was born in 1807, removing with his father’s family to Canada when ten years of age, his father being of the very earliest settlers in Perth, now the County Town of Lanark, in 1817.
On arriving at man’s estate, Mr. Elliott commenced business for himself at Smith’s Falls, Lanark County. He erected saw and grist mills on the River Tay, and prosecuted the milling business in that place for thirteen years, owning during that time extensive farming land and timber limits. He visited the County of Grey as early as 1843 with view to settlement, but did not remove to this section of county till 1856, when he bought property in Sullivan Township and county till 1856, when he bought property in Sullivan Township and erected grist and saw mills; and two years later he purchased 200 acres where the village of Chesley now stands, and built thereon a saw mill, and subsequently a grist mill also. In 1869 he gave up his Chesley business to one of the sons, and removing to Williamsford, built mills and woolen factory; these he also disposed of and has now retired from the business of a long and useful life of activity and industry, which has brought its well-merited reward. He has literally been the “architect of his own fortune,” and a firm supporter of logic of cause and effect as opposed to the doctrine of “manifest destiny,” believing that “the gods help those who help themselves;” and the experience of his life has certainly been an exemplification of the correctness of that theory. Viewing his course from the standpoint of the effect his presence has exerted upon the material development of the country, Mr. Elliott has been of the most useful men in any of the communities which have at various periods claimed his as a citizen, having built and operated no less than six saw mills, four grist mills, and one woollen factory, of which eleven in all were in the approximate neighborhood of Chesley, his present home.
Mr. Elliott’s close application to his private business has not prevented him, however, from giving his time and talents to the service of the public. Municipal advancement, educational development, and the progress of public improvements have ever in him found a warm friend and powerful advocate. He has been for many years a Justice of the Peace, was Reeve of the Township of Sullivan for three years, is frank and outspoken in his intercourse with men and measures, quick of perception, ready with conception, and prompt in execution; having the reputation among his fellows of one who has done well whatever he has undertaken, and possessing in a marked degree the esteem and confidence of hosts of acquaintances and a wild circle of the warmest personal friends."
Belden 1880 Atlas of the County of Bruce